‘Around-the-Corner’ Aero Mechanical Conveyor Loads Ingredients Into Mixers for Butcher’s Pet CareCase Study #1019
Aero Mechanical Conveyors ‘Fit as a Butcher’s Dog’
Butcher’s Pet Care is a family owned business and celebrates 25 years of pet food manufacturing. To meet the company’s remarkable growth, they built a new 85,500 square foot factory which officially opened in March 2012.
They chose a Spiroflow ‘around-the-corner’ Aero Mechanical Conveyor for their new $61 million/ £46 million state-of-the-art factory in Crick, Northamptonshire UK.
1) In their previous facility, minor ingredients were loaded into two mixers and then combined with the main bulk meat products on the ground floor.
2) Their impressive new factory is a high roof, single story building.
3) The mixers are mounted on a raised platform and they needed a way to load rice and dried peas from the ground floor level.
Senior Controls Engineer Andrew Pynn invited Spiroflow and other suppliers to recommend a suitable conveying solution.
We recommended an Aero Mechanical Conveyor because this type of conveyor moves material through an enclosed tube via a partial vacuum created by a series of discs traveling at high speed.
Engineers from Butcher’s Pet Care witnessed trials conducted at our test center using samples of their rice and dried peas. They organized similar trials with a vacuum conveyor specialist and found that the Spiroflow Aero Mechanical Conveyor offered better performance in terms of both conveying rate and minimal product damage.
– The Spiroflow Aero Mechanical Conveyor is stainless steel and complete with an integral sack tip hopper.
– From the hopper, materials are lifted 15ft/ 4.5m then horizontally conveyed 11.5ft/ 3.5m before emptying.
– This second hopper has a reversible auger at its outlet so that ingredients can be delivered to either one of two mixers.
– Depending upon the particular recipe, three to four mixes are produced every hour, 24 hours per day, five days per week.
– A low pressure blower is mounted at the conveyor outlet with a quick release band clamp to avoid problems caused by the vapor rising during the steady loading of sugar.
Andrew Pynn comments, “Our own engineers installed and commissioned the Spiroflow Aero Mechanical Conveyor and it has performed well ever since.”
1609 Airport Road
Monroe, NC 28110 USA
Lincoln Way, Clitheroe
Lancashire BB7 1QG UK